"The trade of advertising is now so near to perfection, it is not easy to propose any improvements".
- Samuel Johnson (1759).

Thursday, October 14, 2010

The future of marketing = Electronic marketing

As the end of the semester draws near, so too does the due date for this blog. Although I may continue on with this blog, I think I should address the opening quote to my blog which states;


"The trade of advertising is now so near to perfection, it is not easy to propose any improvements".
- Samuel Johnson (1759).

I love this quote as it was said way back in 1759, yet they thought advertising was at its peak and that it could not be improved. Oh how wrong they were.


My first blog post titled "What is electronic Marketing?" posed the question to readers what exactly is electronic marketing and what mediums are included in electronic marketing. At the beginning of the semester I did not know the answer to these two questions. However, after 11 weeks of extremely interesting lectures and tutorials I think I now know. As stated in that first blog post, electronic marketing is;

The use of information communication technologies to; understand, create, communicate and deliver value to customers and the organisation.

I believe these include mediums such as; the internet, email, social networking sites, mobile phones etc.


Electronic marketing is also used to facilitate other forms of marketing such as; flash mobs, controversial advertising, viral marketing, and ambient advertising. Electronic marketing is used by a wide range of organisations and people, from large global companies such as McDonalds to politicians to charities to everyday Australians simply posting a video on Youtube.


However, electronic marketing did not exist in 1759. Consequently, as we now know advertising was no where near perfection in 1759, and there were many improvements that could have, and have since been made, in fact T.V. commercials did not even exist back then.


Traditional media is continually loosing its effectiveness with consumers, as many people are now simply too busy or have no interest in traditional media. For example many consumers may not read an actual newspaper, but rather read it online instead. Many consumers may choose to download television programs and therefore bypass the T.V. commercials. Furthermore, many Australians no longer listen to the radio but rather their iPods. Consequently, more and more organisations will be forced to turn their marketing efforts towards electronic marketing in order to break through the clutter and reach consumers in an effective way. Thus electronic marketing is definitely where marketing will be heading in the future.


I think electronic marketing is just fascinating, it is unbelievable the ways in which marketers can reach consumers, I mean who would ever have thought of iPhone applications? I look forward to seeing the new ways in which marketers will reach consumers in the future.


P.S Wags I have really enjoyed your tutorials and lectures, they have been extremely interesting and I have learnt so much! This has definitely been my favourite subject in all my three years of Uni.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog!
    I agree with you totally.
    Traditional media is losing touch with our and the next generation of consumers.
    As new technologies continue to revolutionize the way we communicate and consume media, traditional media may slip way to the pages of history e-books.
    i discuss this in greater detail in my blog:
    http://marketelectronica.tumblr.com/
    check it out!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that traditional media will slip away, but only to a certain extent. For example consumers may still read newspapers, just online. I personally like looking at junk mail. However, the store catalogues that i like dont always get delivered to my house so i look them up online. So i do still think things like newspapers and catalogues will be around, but most consumers may view them online, through their phones etc.

    ReplyDelete